Have you ever considered that healthy food for humans can not only be toxic but even deadly to your household pets? Try and write down a list of foods you give to your pets, just for the sake of it and then read the article and compare your list to what scientists have concluded. Let me know about your results in the comments.

So let’s get down to the matter at hand. Two researchers at the University of Milan in Italy compiled a list of human foods that cause the most pet poisonings worldwide.Some cases of poisoning occur when an owner unknowingly offers a harmful food to a dog or cat, but in many cases, pets find accessible toxins around the house and help themselves to them.

The researchers found that in the past decade, reported cases of toxicity in pets across the globe have most often involved the following food items. Scientists don’t know exactly why some of these foods, which are perfectly safe for most humans, can be deadly for dogs and/or cats:

Chocolate and chocolate-based products

Plants containing allium, including onions, garlic, leeks and chives

Macadamia nuts

Vitis vinifera fruits, including grapes, raisins, sultanas and currants

Foods and product containing the sweetener xylitol

Ethanol in alcoholic beverages

  1. Chocolate

Dogs are more often the victims of chocolate poisoning than cats, because dogs like sweet-tasting things, and they are indiscriminate eaters to begin with. Studies have shown that dogs are especially sensitive to theobromine compared to other domestic animals.

  1. Plants Containing Allium

Symptoms of allium poisoning can occur a day or several days after ingestion, depending on the amount eaten.

Initial symptoms usually include vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain and loss of appetite. These signs can be followed by weakness, rapid breathing, high heart rate, pale mucous membranes, reddish or brown urine and anemia.

The poisonings were a result of a variety of foods and preparation methods/ The toxic compounds in allium plants are organosulfoxides. The organosulfoxides in allium plants seem to survive both cooking and drying.

Garlic can cause changes in blood parameters when fed in very large quantities (much more than pets would naturally eat) or if it is given in a garlic supplement (which I never recommend).

Dogs can healthfully consume 1/4 teaspoon of freshly chopped garlic per 15 pounds of body weight and reap substantial health benefits, just don’t go overboard.

3.Macadamia nuts

Macadamia nuts can cause serious problems for dogs, even in very small amounts. Symptoms of poisoning occur with 12 hours of ingestion and can include hind-limb weakness, vomiting, stiffness and loss of coordination, trembling, fever, abdominal pain and pale mucous membranes.

4.Grapes and Raisins

The study authors write:

“While some foodstuffs, such as chocolate, have long been known to cause poisoning in dogs and cats, others, such as grapes, had previously been considered unlikely to cause problems, and have emerged as a potential concern only in the last few years.”

Se presupune that fluoride-based pesticides used on grapevines could be to blame. According to the University of Milan researchers, grapes, raisins, sultanas and currants — both raw and cooked — can cause kidney failure in dogs. However, not all dogs have the same reaction to these foods. This information seems to support Gardner’s theory that it’s the way the fruits are cultivated, rather than the fruits themselves, that render them toxic. Unfortunately, based on what Gardner uncovered during her investigation, we can’t assume organic raisins or grapes are safe, either, so my recommendation is to avoid feeding grapes, raisins and related fruits to your pet.

4.Xylitol

Xylitol is a sweetener that is highly toxic to dogs. It’s a sugar alcohol extracted from corn and corn fiber, birch, raspberries and plums. Sadly, xylitol poisoning in dogs is reaching epidemic proportions. Until fairly recently, xylitol was found primarily in products not normally given to dogs. Poisonings were usually the result of dogs sampling human foods, candy or gum on the sly. However, this sweetener is now in certain peanut and nut butters. Symptoms of xylitol toxicity can develop from 30 minutes up to 12 hours after ingestion, and include vomiting and signs of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), such as lethargy, inability to control movements, collapsing and seizures.

5.Alcohol

Alcohol (ethanol) poisoning in pets typically occurs when a dog (or much less likely, a cat) samples an alcoholic beverage. Toxicity has also occurred in dogs who ate rotten apples, sloe berries and uncooked bread and pizza dough, all of which contain alcohol. Other potential sources of ethanol include paint and varnish, certain medications, perfume/cologne, mouthwash and certain types of antifreeze.

Just as with humans, when a pet ingests alcohol, it is quickly absorbed from the GI tract and reaches the brain. Symptoms develop within a short period of time, and include depression, loss of coordination, lethargy, sedation, increased body temperature, dangerously slow breathing and coma.

So take care of your little ones and let me know in the comments below if your pets have had any of the above and if they had any adverse reactions on the spot or in the long run.

You May Also Like