Before refrigeration, spices such as ginger were once used to preserve food. They are rich in antioxidants, which help retard the damaging effects of oxidation. Ginger helps you stay healthy, that’s why ginger-based recipes are so popular. In this post I’m giving you a recipe for ginger chicken soup which will keep you healthy and the boiled chicken from it will serve very well for the second recipe in this post, and that is chicken salad which is absolutely delicious. I had it this morning, so it’s a personal guarantee for the taste 🙂
2 serves (save 2 cups chopped chicken for spicy chicken salad)
1 medium chicken cut into pieces
3-inch piece of ginger, peeled and chopped
5 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
4 celery stalks
1 bunch chopped Italian parsley
1 red onion
9 whole cloves 1 bunch chard, washed
1. Wash the chicken and pat dry with paper towels.
2. Place in a large soup pot and cover with 2 quarts water.
3. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer.
4. Add the ginger, garlic, celery, and parsley.
5. Cut the ends off the onion, cut in half, and stick cloves in each half.
6. Simmer for 2 to 3 hours.
7. Set up a large colander on top of another large pot.
8. Strain the soup and set aside the chicken for tomorrow’s lunch.
9. Return the broth to the heat and bring to a boil.
10. Add the chard and reduce to simmer.
11. Simmer for 10 minutes and serve.
SPICY CHICKEN SALAD
Add a little spice to your chicken salad!
2 cups chicken from Gingery Chicken Soup, cut into bite sized pieces
1 celery stalk, chopped
3 tablespoons chopped almonds
1⁄2 green apple, chopped
1 scallion, chopped
2 tablespoons homemade mayonnaise
Pinch of cayenne
Salt to taste
1 small head green leaf lettuce, washed and dried